Sunday, September 22, 2013

Lapbooking Made Simple

thebusymom.com
Lapbooking Made Simple by Heidi St. John has changed the way I do homeschooling. Heidi St. John has changed the way I view homeschooling in general. Her blog “The Busy Mom” has really been an inspiration to me. She is a Christian homeschool mom, who has written several books, teaches conferences and ministers to families. I have also subscribed to her on Facebook, and her daily insight to being a mom and wife has been a blessing to me.


Lapbooking is something that I am just learning about. Apparently homeschoolers have been doing this for quite some time. The process takes your learning material; turns it into hands on, visual, interactive pieces. Have you seen the science fair boards? They are mini versions of those that will fit in your lap; hence the name, lapbook.


In this book you will be introduced to the topic of lapbooking. She gives helpful hints on where to begin. The different elements are explained and visuals are given. The difference between notebooking and lapbooking is gone over. Heidi also gives you mini-book templates. This step by step book will get you hooked on the process and excited too.


We have started using lapbooks in our homeschool process. I can already see the children are learning even more than they would be if we just read the material and had questions to answer. This is all happening without prompting. They have dug much deeper into the subject matter, used their creative processes, design and even taking care in their handwriting. The last is something I couldn’t get them to do EVER. I am so glad that I have been introduced to this method. I hope this can be a help to your family too.

No comments:

Post a Comment